Sr. Staff Accountant
About Western Allied Mechanical
Western Allied Mechanical is a leading company in HVAC system design and operation, known for its innovative approach and commitment to creating comfortable and energy-efficient environments. With a focus on building and maintaining strong customer relationships, we strive to attract and develop top talent while fostering an entrepreneurial spirit. Our 50 years of experience as a mechanical contractor for various industries, including biotech, high tech, retrofit, and LEED/Green projects, has solidified our reputation. We are currently seeking intelligent, organized, and innovative individuals to join our team.
The role of the Sr. Staff Accountant at Western Allied Mechanical is crucial in ensuring the accurate handling of costs, financial accounting, tax payments, and management information system reporting. This position is responsible for managing the company’s general ledger, ensuring the timely filing of taxes (excluding State/Federal income taxes), and implementing financial policies, procedures, controls, and reporting systems to optimize the return on financial assets. Working closely with the other members of the Accounting Department, the Sr. Staff Accountant upholds the organization’s policies and adheres to applicable laws to ensure efficient and effective accounting operations are practiced throughout the company. Collaboration with all departments is essential, as the Sr. Staff Accountant plays a vital role in cost management, related processes, and supporting sound investment decisions and resource management for the organization’s financial success.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Support monthly accounting close process
- Coordinate activities between payroll, accounts payable, purchasing, accounts receivable, and job costing
- Establish and enforce internal controls to protect assets and profitability
- Monitor financial condition of divisions and overall company
- Track fixed assets and maintain depreciation schedules
- Maintain Application and Overhead rates per division/cost center
- Support preparation for monthly overhead review meetings
- Assist with various accounting tasks executed by other staff members
- Ensure accurate Sales and Use Tax expenditures, reporting, and filing
- Support internal and external audit efforts
- Assist with budgeting process and recommend action plans
- Analyze variances from the budget and report significant issues to management
- Calculate and issue financial and operating metrics
- Provide financial analyses for capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to gather financial data and streamline processes
- Develop and implement financial policies, procedures, and controls for compliance
- Stay updated on accounting regulations, industry trends, and provide recommendations for improvements
- Perform other assigned tasks.
Salary Range: $85,000 to 100,000 depending on experience and qualifications
- Must possess discretion and the ability to handle sensitive financial information.
- Maintaining strict control over the flow of confidential information and communicate it only to authorized individuals is crucial.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university, or equivalent combination of education and experience (5-8 years).
- Commercial construction industry experience preferred but not required.
- CPA certification preferred.
- Experience with Viewpoint Spectrum or similar ERP programs highly desirable.
- Skilled with Microsoft Office Programs, especially Excel
Working at Western Allied Mechanical comes with a competitive salary and benefits package that includes a 401K Plan, discretionary 401K profit-sharing & matching, and Paid Time Off. This is a rewarding position that offers the excitement and satisfaction of working both individually and with a team. As a company with fewer than 350 employees, we are focused on supporting the professional growth of our employees and treating them like family. Our open-door policy facilitates our culture of mutual support that permeates the work experience. Our location in Union City is ideal for commutes from all over the Bay Area.
Western Allied Mechanical is an equal opportunity employer located in Union City, CA. To be considered for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter describing your experience and interest in working with us.
The qualifications listed below reflect the necessary knowledge, skill, and abilities. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to fulfill the essential functions.
Please apply through our website: https://www.westernallied.com/careers/current-openings/
Please submit your contact information, cover letter, and resume below.
EEO Notice: Western Allied Mechanical is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Western Allied Mechanical are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Western Allied Mechanical will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Western Allied Mechanical encourages applicants of all ages.